I have had mixed experiences at this event, coming away with wins in 2009, 2011 and a DNF in 2013 where I fractured my left proximal humerus attempting a water crossing at the 23km mark, falling off the stepping stones attempting to avoid wet feet (in my stupid trance-like state) into the causeway.
The race start from Cambewarra Public School...
From the race website:
"The "King" as it's known locally, travels from the quiet rural village of Cambewarra (10 minutes from the township of Nowra) via a series of bitumen and gravel roads to the historic township of Kangaroo Valley. A 32km journey that takes in the best sights and native sounds of the local area.
This is not how it was meant to end in 2013...I will need to return this year for some closure!
My race tips for a successful King of the Mountain:
1. Treat the race like a marathon, even though it is only 32km (owing to the course elevation, it feels like a marathon)
2. Wear comfortable road shoes (there is only minimal trail and mostly country firetrails and bitumen)
3. Don't overdress owing to the cold start at Cambewarra as you will regret it as you overhead throughout the race
4. Don't turn up to the start line overcooked as your legs will not thank you as you head up Mt Scanzi
5. Don't underestimate Mt Scanzi (a tester of a hill between 20 and 30km) as it is where all the hard training will pay dividends